I know that not everyone dreads the Halloween candy leftovers. There are some that I will sneak out of my kids’ stash for “sampling purposes”. Eventually, though, something needs to be done about the rest.
We do let the kids eat some, but really, I don’t want to pay for their excessive dental needs due to parental negligence. And let’s face it, no one has ever said that candy is good for you. At the same time, I seriously cannot stand throwing out anything that can qualify as food. It’s so wasteful on so many levels and I actually care about the planet I live on. There is a solution that does not involve hiding from trick-or-treaters or being the grinchy parent that doesn’t let their kids go out to beg candy from strangers.
It’s simple, really. Just repurpose it. I take a mix of the chocolate kinds (but not “M&M” types) and melt them in the microwave. Yes, even the cookie ones and peanut butter cups. Just break them up into little bits. I’ll add regular chocolate chips or “kisses” to make sure there is enough actual chocolate that it will melt all together. Short times in the microwave of 1-2 minutes, with stirring in between, make it an easy task. If the mixture is too thick to stir easily, add a little vegetable oil to make it thinner. The “M&M” types won’t melt as well because of the candy shell, so I use those in place of chocolate chips in cookies.
Once this stuff cools, it can be stored in a covered container at room temperature. It will stay somewhat soft and can be easily scooped out with a spoon. So what do you do with this chocolatey goop? I put some into hot milk for making hot cocoa for the boys, or adding a little mocha flavor to coffee. Most of the chunky things will dissolve in the hot liquid and get whisked all together. Things like nuts won’t but can be scooped out with a spoon. It can also be reheated and used as a topping for ice cream. I plan to experiment with using it in cookies or brownies to see how it will turn out.
Or you can just eat the candy. Your choice!